In accordance with the Sumitomo Corporation Group’s Sustainability Policy, SGL aims to be a global organization that contributes broadly to society through its sound business activities.
The basis for the Sumitomo Corporation Group’s operations can be found in Sumitomo’s Business Philosophy, which has formed the foundation for Sumitomo’s sustainable development over the course of 400 years. One of the credos of this philosophy states: “Benefit for self and others, private and public interests are one and the same.” We interpret this credo advocates Sumitomo’s business activities must benefit not only Sumitomo, but also society around us to achieve sustainable growth together.
This credo has been incorporated into Sumitomo Corporation Group’s Corporate Mission Statement. Guided by our Corporate Mission Statement, we have continued to conduct our business activities with the aim of being a global organization that constantly stays a step ahead in dealing with change, creates new value, and contributes broadly to society
It is important to reconsider how we should address social issues through our business activities. To achieve sustainable growth together with society into the future, we have identified material issues that we should address with priority by leveraging our strengths in line with Sumitomo’s Business Philosophy and Sumitomo Corporation Group’s Corporate Mission Statement.
Our Suppliers and Business Partners are Expected to:
- Respect human rights and not to be complicit in human rights abuses
- Prevent forced labor, child labor and the payment of unfairly low wages
- Not engage in discriminatory employment practices
- Respect the rights of employees to associate freely in order to ensure open and fair negotiations between labor and management
- Provide employees with safe and healthy work environments
- Protect the global environment and give due consideration to biodiversity
- Ensure the quality and safety of products and services
- Ensure fair business transactions, to abide by all applicable laws, rules and regulations, and to prevent extortion, bribery and all other forms of corrupt business practices
- Ensure appropriate information security
- Cooperate with members of local host communities and contribute to sustainable regional development
- Disclose information regarding the above in a manner both timely and appropriate.